Parents and teachers often ask us where they can find reliable information that is helpful in their journey raising or teaching children with Sensory Processing / Sensory Integration challenges. They ask us if there are books on sensory processing disorder or if we have found helpful blogs, or do we know of support groups or conferences on the topic of sensory processing disorder (SPD). Today we want to tell you about Sensory Focus Magazine – Understanding the Issue Behind the Behavior by Sensory World, a division of Future Horizons, Inc.
Sensory Focus Magazine was formally called S.I. Focus Magazine. It was established in 2004 as a print magazine. In January 2011, it went totally digital. Now, in 2014, the print magazine is once again available.
Sensory Focus is for parents, teachers, or other caregivers of children with sensory processing disorder or sensory integration (SI) issues, as it is also called. Jennifer Gilpin Yacio, Vice-president of Future Horizons, Inc., is now the editor in chief of this quarterly magazine.
Sensory Focus Magazine by Sensory World
This magazine is for many parents with children with special needs as any individuals with sensory challenges may also have autism, ADD/ADHD, Down syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Tourette syndrome, or OCD, etc. Sensory processing disorder affects children’s behavior and it is more common than once thought. Studies show that 1 in every 6 children experiences sensory symptoms that may be significant enough to affect aspects of everyday life functions. Sensory challenges affect the way children learn, move, relate to others, and feel about themselves.
You may follow the magazine on their Sensory World Magazine Facebook Page. On their Facebook page they tell readers that Sensory Focus Magazine‘s mission is: “… to enlighten, encourage and empower our readers within the sensory community. This publication is read equally by parents and professionals around the world who depend on us for support and information. We offer research topics, real-life stories, clinical insight, educational opportunities and resources pertaining to sensory processing disorders, as well as an online store with books, CDs and DVDs.”
Autism Asperger’s Digest by Future Horizons, Inc.
Future Horizons, Inc., the parent company, publishes autism and Asperger’s syndrome resources including Autism Asperger’s Digest.
This is a bi-monthly print magazine now also available on Apple iOS. Autism Asperger’s Digest, their site tells us, was created to meet the needs of teachers, therapists, and family members who face the challenge of autism.
Their books, videos, and conferences are geared to bring you the most current information possible to assist in that challenge. R. Wayne Gilpin is president of Future Horizons, Inc.
- Parent company Future Horizons, Inc. focuses on Autism and Asperger’s and also publishes the bi-monthly Autism Asperger’s Digest.
- Sensory World, a division of Future Horizons, focuses on Sensory Processing / Sensory Integration and also publishes the quaterly Sensory Focus Magazine.
What type of articles will you find in
Sensory Focus Magazine?
The following are the articles in their Winter 2013 Issue of Sensory Focus Magazine. Each is beautifully written, informative, and very interesting:
- The Effect of Sensory and Perceptual Difficulties on Learning Styles (sensory challenges will compromise a child’s ability to learn with “traditional” teaching methods) by Temple Grandin, PhD
- To Speak Up or Not To Speak Up ( how much do you explain about your child’s special needs, when, to whom) by Bobbi Sheahan
- Attention Cure (a strategy to let your child fell secure and stop demanding your attention) by Barbara Sher, MA, OTR
- Living a Sensory-Rich Life: Educate, Embrace & Engage (author’s new web site, ASensoryLife.com designed to help follow the three steps to live a sensory-rich life) by Angie Voss, OTR
- The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up (Seeking Sync: Stories by Teens and Adults about Adapting to SPD is the working title of the author’s up-coming book) by Carol Kranowitz, MA.
Many parents, teachers, and other caregivers find that Sensory Focus Magazine is a wonderful resource on everything SENSORY PROCESSING. It is the only magazine devoted exclusively to Sensory Processing / Sensory Integration. Each issue is a keeper and you can get past issues in digital format which are available for individual purchase from their web site.
See Also: Special Needs Book Review of A Lifetime of Laughing and Loving with Autism: New and Revisited Stories that Will Warm and Inspire You , a book filled with stories compiled by R. Wayne Gilpin, the founder of the Future Horizons publishing company.