Parents want what is best for their children. They lobby for safe products and a safe environment. When we were getting KidCompanions Chewelry ready for market our product had to comply to many safety regulations from Canada and the United States. Then during 2012 we successfully went through the red tape to get KidCompanions Chewelry CE marked to be sold to the 28 European Union countries. When parents buy our product they can have peace of mind about its safety… can that be said about less expensive children’s jewelry or chewelry? What are the dangers that lurk in toyland?
We applauded our governmental agencies when lead was regulated in products intended for use in play or learning by children under three years of age. Lead is also regulated in some consumer products that are likely to come into contact with the mouth like baby bottle nipples, soothers, beverage straws, mouthpieces of musical instruments, and sports mouthpieces. Remember why lead is so dangerous?
Why Lead Is So Dangerous?
Health Canada’s web site has this information about lead:
“Lead exposure is most serious for young children because they absorb lead more easily than adults and are more susceptible to its harmful effects. Even low level exposure may harm the intellectual development, behaviour, size and hearing of infants. During pregnancy, lead can cross the placenta and affect the unborn child. Female workers exposed to high levels of lead have more miscarriages and stillbirths.”
What made headlines the summer of 2011 that parents should know about? Unfortunately the banned lead was quickly replaced with equally toxic cadmium in many of the same products. What is cadmium and what is being done about this?
What Is Cadmium?
Cadmium is a heavy metal which is known to be highly toxic when ingested. Both lead and cadmium are toxic metals which can have harmful effects on the behaviour and development of children even at very low levels of exposure. Cadmium is used as a cheap substitute for lead in inexpensive imported jewelry and it is considered more harmful than lead if ingested through the swallowing or prolonged licking or sucking of a jewelry piece. It is a known carcinogen.
Reports of high levels of cadmium use in children’s jewelry in 2010 led to a US Consumer Product Safety Commission investigation. The U.S. CPSC issued specific recall notices for cadmium content in jewelry sold by Claire’s and Wal-Mart stores. In June 2010 McDonald’s voluntarily recalled more than 12 million promotional “Shrek Forever After 3D” Collectable Drinking Glasses because of the concerns over cadmium levels in paint pigments used on the glassware. The glasses were manufactured in the USA.
What is Canada Doing About Cadmium?
Health Canada also had concerns that cadmium was increasingly substituted for lead in inexpensive jewelry.
- First in 2008 and 2009, Health Canada carried out national marketplace surveys for children’s jewelry.
- Then in January and May of 2010, Health Canada gave warnings to consumers of the dangers of lead and cadmium in children’s jewelry.
- October 2010, industry was warned to voluntarily stop the production, importation and sale of children’s jewelry made with cadmium or cadmium-containing materials.
- In July 2011, Health Canada posted a draft Risk Assessment Report which proposes a guideline for total cadmium in children’s jewelry. This level would protect children from cadmium poisoning following accidental ingestion, or prolonged licking and sucking, of these products.
- See the latest guidelines from Health Canada has guidelines for cadmium in children’s jewelry here.
KidCompanions Chewelry and SentioCHEWS ARE SAFE!
Parents can rest assured that KidCompanions Chewelry and SentioCHEWS sold by SentioLife Solutions, Ltd. are completely safe from pendant, to lanyard, to child safety clasp or clip.
Our Canadian made, sourced in Canada and the United States, chew pendants that double up as hand fidgets are bpa, phthalate, pvc, lead and latex free. Mom invented, CE marked KidCompanions Chewelry and Tougher-than-Silicone SentioCHEWS are sensory chew necklaces are safe, non-toxic special needs tools often recommended by occupational therapists, teachers and parents. Our sensory chewing necklace or Clip-ons are helpful for those with autism, ADHD, Tourette’s syndrome, Down syndrome, Sensory Processing Disorder… ALL individuals who have an overwhelming urge to chew, bite, or fidget.
Health Canada recommends the following safety tips about children’s jewelry:
- Check your child’s jewelry If you suspect it may contain lead or cadmium, throw it out in your regular household waste.
- Do not give young children adult jewelry to wear or play with; it may contain lead or cadmium.
- Do not allow children to suck or chew on any jewelry.
- If your child has sucked or chewed regularly on jewelry which you think may contain lead or cadmium, ask your doctor to test your child’s blood for lead or cadmium.
- A child who swallows a jewelry item containing lead or cadmium is at high risk of developing serious health effects. Contact an emergency medical service if you believe your child has swallowed an item containing lead or cadmium.
- Check for product recalls by contacting the retailer, manufacturer or Health Canada.
In Canada we now have the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act. This Act gives Health Canada the ability to order mandatory recalls of consumer products that present an unreasonable danger to human health or safety and the mandatory reporting of incidents or deaths for all consumer products in Canada. Therefore if any company/manufacturer still has children’s jewelry that poses a danger by the announced date, our government has legislation in place to act quickly to remove the products.
Parents and caregivers must still be vigilant and check what their kids put in their mouths. The above regulations deal with children products mostly but many other items your exploring child can put in his mouth could pose a danger. Have you checked recently what is in your adult jewelry, car keys and ring, or other items that end up in your child’s mouth?
Health and Safety of
SentioLife Solutions’ Chew Pendants
Health and safety are at the core of our company. SentioLife Solutions, Ltd. products, KidCompanions Chewelry and SentioCHEWS, are chewable and wearable sensory tools for individuals who have an overwhelming urge to chew, bite, and/or fidget. Read the rest of this section.
jewellery items should be kept away from small children as they are very dangerous for them. Jewellery items contain certain chemical items which are poisonous and might affect their health. I bought a Newbridge Silver Jewellery piece sometime ago and I follow these precautions very carefully.
Thanks Steve for your comment showing also how often jewellery for adults is not good to be in the “mouths” of children!
How safe is this product as a choking hazard? I understand that it is something to be chewed on. Will a toddler be able to break it up and choke?
Hello Aleisha, No our chew necklaces cannot “break up”. On our web site we say: *KidCompanions: The hard interior plastic prevents large parts from breaking off and causing a large choking hazard-sized chunk and the materials are FDA USP-IV medical grade. In the event a child does ingest little pieces, they should just pass through the digestive without harm. *SentioCHEWS: The one-part shape is larger than our 2-part KidCompanions and passes teether size recommendations.”
The 18″ and 20″ cotton lanyards on our KidCompanions Chewelry has breakaway clasps that let go with a 5 pound pull or weight. Our SentioCHEWS breakaway lanyards are 24″ with a sturdier barrel clasp for older youth and adults. So many parents wanted the cotton lanyards with our SentioCHEWS to use with younger children that now we have DIY chewelry where you can mix and match both lines of our chew necklaces See here: https://kidcompanions.mystagingwebsite.com/product-category/diy/
Hope this is helpful, Lorna