What Was Involved Getting KidCompanions Chewelry Market Ready? Pierrette’s goal was to design a stylish, efficient, and SAFE sensory oral-motor tool that users with sensory issues wear. This jewelry that you chew had to double-up as a hand fidget for children who need to manipulate a hand fidget to become calm or to help them focus… busy the hands to allow the brain to stay on task.
Lots of work went into perfecting the pendants and the child safety clasp to satisfy users with sensory issues or fidgeting needs. Then Pierrette searched for 100% organic cotton lanyards. She used strict quality control and extensively researched materials. She reduced her carbon footprint by sourcing from North America and having her products manufactured in Canada in a medical grade, clean room facility.
It took months to have prototypes and injection molds made, and finally testing the product to ensure they met safety regulations. Partnering in 2009 with her mother and 30 year veteran elementary school teacher, Lorna d’Entremont, was a step ahead as well.
Mother and grand-mother of special needs children with sensory processing challenges, they dedicated many months to assure their products are comfortable, and discreet. Nothing was left to chance and the result is a safe, chewable necklace that brings peace of mind to parents and comfort to their child with sensory needs.
KidCompanions Chewelry IS SAFE!
KidCompanions Chewelry is phthalates (BPA), metal, and latex free!
• Pierrette followed American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) safety standards and voluntary standards for products used by youth for toys.
• KidCompanions Chewelry pendants are 2 fused parts and made of thermo-plastic elastomers, both medical grade, USP Class VI.
• Shapes are made-in-Canada in a medical device, ISO certified facility
• The breakaway is custom-designed to ASTM standards and made of FDA approved Polymer.
• They use 100% organic cotton lanyard material, made in the US. Undyed or dyed with the safest color-fast dyes available.
• The lanyard lengths follow ASTM standards for children’s safety of cords and loops.
• KidCompanions Chewelry is CE marked to EU standards, under the Medical Device Directive.
• KidCompanions Chewelry is CPSIA 3rd party certified.
How KidCompanions Chewelry Benefit Its Users?
KidCompanions Chewelry was designed by a mom who knows about special needs.
Pierrette knew about the importance of the lanyard needing to be comfortable, the clasp needing to be small, smooth, and lay flat for comfort.
She knew the chewy pendants MUST be “just right” to touch, to chew, and to wear. KidCompanions Chewelry is stylish and discreet allowing the user to fit in and is not a distraction to others.
- It is used as a CHEWABLE accessory. The chewy KidCompanions address the issues of inappropriate biting and chewing on inedible items that bring questions of hygiene, teeth wearing and safety to mind.
- It is a FUNCTIONAL fidget/chewy. KidCompanions allows discreet fidgeting to help hyperactive children to focus better. Also the strong jaw muscles are a great way to use pent-up energy by chewing to stay on task.
- It is WEARABLE and soothing. It is a comforting familiarity for children who do not like transitions, like going from home to school or from homeroom to another class, cafeteria, gym…finding security and comfort holding on to their KidCompanions.
- It is AGE-APPROPRIATE and discreet. KidCompanions are stylish and discreet allowing the user to fit in and is not a distraction to others.
When not in use this “jewelry that you chew” is not on the floor gathering germs or in someone else’s hands or mouth! When the child needs to chew or bite it is readily accessible. He can pop it in his mouth, chew away and use both hands to work or play. ORAL input is calming and organizing and he can get on with his day.
What Parents Say About KidCompanions Chewelry:
Melody says, “I have two Autistic boys who are both mouthers. One luckily just uses his fingers, the other mouths objects ~ shirts, dice, toys, you name it. The worst place is school where he’s chewed and sucked on his shirt making it completely wet… this terribly hurts his socialization and puts him in major danger of bullying… tried other chewelry, but they pinch his neck and skin. Not to mention they are another target for bullies. Important having a safe chewing choice like KidCompanions Chewelry that doesn’t call attention further hindering our kids.”